Thursday, August 07, 2008

Two weeks ago I went for a cycle around the island called Fyn.
Here's a map of where I cycled.

View Larger Map

On the first day I rode from Vejlefjordskolen to Assens. It was an 80km ride. I went past some really nice places and landscapes. I found a very steep hill. I had no expectation to come across something like it. It we up about 70m in about 1.5km. On the first day it was very hard. I rode up part of it and walked the rest. I realised that I had packed to much stuff. Here's a few pics.

My bike all packed and ready to go.

Typical danish style buildings
View back towards the school from other side of the fjord.
Lille baelt.
One of the big bridges joining Denmark to Mainland Europe. This one joins the island Fyn to Jyland.
Denmark Pasture. They grow wheat, corn, onions, strawberries, and a few more things.
The sign says it all.
Danish state church.
Assens Harbour and Church

Day 2 - I rode from Assens to Faaborg. This was really nice. Before I left Assens I met two people that were also riding the route as me. I left first to go into town and get some food but ended up catching up with them. We cycled most of the trip together. These people were Danes, so they knew a bit about the history of different places along the way. We also went to an Inn that had some really good coffee and hot chocolate. The hot chocolate was very expensive. It cost 80kr($16AUD). It was worth it though. I stayed in Diernaes at a camping site. It was near the top of the "Fyn Alps".

Day 3 - I rode from Faaborg to Nyborg. It was such an amazing ride. I rode past Castles and Manor houses. They were so beautiful and grande. The landscape changed quite a lot along the way. First it was forest on the hillside like an escarpment. The roads winded there way through the forest. After it went to the open farming land with small hills. It was a bit the a tableland. As I got closer to the east coast, it got a hilly again then flattened out once I got to the camping ground I was staying at. Nyborg was a nice place to walk around. There is an old castle called Nyborg Slot. It was very nice to see. The city of Nyborg is mostly built in the moat created to fortify the old city. Now it's only used for fishing. I was able to walk around some of the moat. I went down to the harbour to get some food. I found 2 old sailing ships down there. They were awesome. After I had enough siteseeing, I went back to the campground and went for a swim at the beach. The water was sooooooo warm. There was a sign saying 18'c. After the swim I watched the sunset over Storbaelt. The colours of the sky were amazing.

Manor House

Before of Deer

Castle


I ate lunch out the front of this castle.

Another Castle. This is just outside of Nyborg.

Storebaelt during the day.

Danish Windmill

Old Nyborg city plan with moat.

Day 4 - I rode from Nyborg and stopped in Kerteminde for a swim and some lunch. I also went to an aquarium in Kerteminde. After lunch I rode on to Lodshuse. I was meant to take a ferry across the headlands of Odensefjord and cycle down the other side but I was late by 45mins. So, I rode back the way I came and headed off to Odense. I arrived in Odense 2hrs later then I had expected. That night I stayed with one of my friends. He took me to the Odense Zoo that evening.
Day 5 - I went sightseeing around Odense. We went to the Hans Christian Andersen museum and the house where he grow up. After lunch I took the train from Odense to Vejle and was picked up in Vejle by Mario(an SM from last year.)

More pics are at Flickr

No comments: