Monday, March 10, 2008

Hey all.
Here is a update on what I have been doing for the past month.

Wk 7 - It was school holidays. I stayed back at the school at worked. A few of the things I did were fix the curtains in the school, pick up rubbish, look after the horses. It was a very relaxing week. There was around 15 people on campus at one time. The break was short but really good.
Wk 8 - First week back to school. It started out really bad. One of the students that has been getting on my nerves had finely done it. During this week I went with the student and talked with the principal of the matter. All things were fine until I had to tell him to go the bed.
We got a new 8kl student on the first day back. He is a very quiet guy. But is now coming out of his shell and having fun. I took all the 8kl guys out to ten pin bowling. They all enjoyed themselves. Every week I take the 8kl guys out some where for team building/bonding time.
On the weekend we had an International Football Match. We had a team from Newbold College, 3 from Norway, 2 from Finland. It was a very busy weekend. I was on duty. As soon as the weekend shift started everyone that was working were on their toes either putting up the programs, moving mattresses, setting up the cafe, cleaning, etc. As the weekend went on there was lots of things to do. We did have a slow period after lunch on saturday. That was very good. enough time to recharge for the night. In the evening we started the football matchs. I spent mostof my time in the cafe helping them out. On sunday, I had wakeup. I had to go wake up all the people that had duty in the kitchen. After breakfast I was back in the cafe setting it all up again. The Football match was finished at 1pm. The school won the girls under 18 and the guys under 18. The Norwegians won the open category. In the afternoon it was time to pack up and cleanup again. It was a very busy afternoon.
Wk 9 - I spent most ofthe week trying to recover from the previous weekend. I got to take 2 english classes. One was because the teacher was sick and the opther was because they were talking about Australia and the teacher wanted me to tell the students about it. I really enjoyed telling the students about Aus. They were all interested in what I had to say. Most of them understood it also. I have got lots of pics and things that I was able to take with me and show them.
On the weekend we had a Karaoke night.We had around 40 students that stayed for it. The karaoke wasn't real karaoke. We played singstar on the playstation. All he students really enjoyed though. Nearly everyone had a go. It was so relaxing and calm. Nothing major went wrong. We had a fw people skip their kitchen duty but that is about it.
Wk 10 - After a nice relaxing weekend I was ready for a new week. The good thing was I had swapped a few shifts with the other SM's because they were away during WK9. This meant I only had one night shift. It was great.
On the weekend we had a Galla Fest or Formal. The 3g students organised and ran the event for all the students and teachers. The theme for the night was the oscars. The students handed out awards to teacher and students for different categories. I got nominated for one. This was the bamse award. I was a bit confused. Bamse in danish means teddy bear and is also the name of the school vehicle that we drive. During the week I had been set up for a blind date to the Galla. It was very interesting. I had known who my date was by she didn't. On Saturday night just before the 3g's walked into the Hall I gave a rose and a corsage. I found out that the Danes are not known for wearing a corsage and the florists don't know what they are. I got Vanessa(SM, a florist by trade) to make me one. She did a really good job. When I gave my date the flowers I said,' I believe these are for you.' Later I found out that she still didn't know that I was her date until I came and sat down next to her.
Sunday we cleaned up the hall and washed all the dishes from the galla.

No comments: